Cinderella film review

Film: Cinderella
Year of release: 2015
Starring: Lily James, Richard Madden, Helena Bonham Carter
Rating: 5/5 stars

Ever since I was a child, Cinderella has always been one of my all time favourite disney films. I loved the fun and innocence of the original Disney film from 1950, I want to see the broadway show, I love the songs, the characters...everything. When I heard there was going to be a live action film, two thoughts went through my head:

"OMG I AM SO EXCITED HELP"
"help they're going to ruin it."

By the time this blogpost goes up, I will have seen the film twice - once with a dear friend, and another with my mum and brother. Both times I ended up in buckets of tears, and both times it left me overwhelmed and speechless.

It is very easy to say, I was not disappointed. I would even go so far as to say, I love the new version more than the original.

Firstly - the story. With Disney films being remade now, generally the story becomes darker and takes a different turn of events to the original. This film was kept to exactly the same as the original, just in more depth. The story also gives an introduction to Cinderella herself, and her parents, her stepmother etc...The original Disney film throws the audience head first into the middle of the story where Cinderella is already a servant in her own home and is already an orphan. In this version, you see Cinderella grow up with her parents from a child, witness her grief as her mother dies, see her beauty and her kindness grow with age, and then the remarriage of her father to his new wife, the transformation of the family and the house as Lady Tremaine and her daughters move in, leading up to the grief returning once more as Cinderella's father dies and she becomes a servant in her own home.

Next, the characters. It wasn't until I recently re-watched the original version that I realised something - the characters are very two dimensional. All we know about Cinderella is she is pretty and kind and an orphan. That's as much as her personality goes. We know her stepmother and sisters are mean and ugly. That's it. In the new film, we see cinderella's kindness grow, we see how she treats people, how she feels towards her parents and stepfamily and she has such a deeper personality. Without giving too much away to those who haven't seen the film, we later on learn about why the mother and sisters are so cruel and mean to Cinderella. And finally, there's the Prince. He actually has a name this time - Kit. He is actually given a personality as opposed to someone who sees a pretty girl and decides to marry her there and then. The modern version actually sees him meeting Cinderella and having a conversation with her before throwing a ball in the hopes she will be there. When she shows up, they dance, as seen in the film, but also talk to each other! What a surprise! It is when they talk to each other the audience realises HE NOW LOVES HER.

The final thing I want to say is...The film itself. The cinematography is stunning. The way the fairy godmother, fabulously played by Helena Bonham Carter, turns the pumpkin into a beautiful golden coach, the mice into horses and completely transforms Cinderella's dress left me utterly speechless. The Ball scene made me want to cry where it was so perfect. Every tiny detail had been paid attention to and there was such beauty in every corner. The use of colour, the scenery...everything.

As a final note - OH MY GOD LILY JAMES CAN SING. I love the 2 main stars, Lily James and Richard Madden as they are from 2 of my favourite TV shows - Lily James is Lady Rose, my favourite character in 'Downton Abbey' and Richard Madden plays the little sweetie Robert Stark in 'Game of Thrones'. I knew Lily James was an amazing actress as well as being absolutely stunning...but I never realised she had such a wonderful voice. Near the end of the film, she sings a lullaby 'Lavender's Blue' which is (much to my utter sadness) not on the soundtrack and it made me cry even more than I already was at this point. There is also a point in the credits when she sings the Cinderella featured song 'A dream is a wish your heart makes'. Although the song is not in the film itself, it is so beautifully done that it sends a shiver down my spine.

I honestly cannot put into words how much this film has suddenly appealed to me, despite me having only just seen it. This film means so much to me and I now think I have another favourite disney film to add to my ever growing list. As an added bonus, the new frozen short film 'Frozen Fever' is shown at the beginning and it is wonderful! With a super fun and catchy song, it's hard not to love it.

To everyone who has not seen the film yet, I very highly recommend you go. It is the most wonderful film I have seen in a long long time and if you are a fan of Disney or just Cinderella itself, I would recommend this film to the end of the earth.

And on that note, I just have one more thing to say...

Comments

Popular Posts