5 Books To Read Before You Die

Ok, so I know the title might make this post seem a bit morbid but I can guarantee it really isn't! I had an idea for this post because people ask me what books to read, so instead of telling everyone individually, I'm going to tell you all my top 5 that you should read at some point in your life.

1. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
A wonderfully written book that really changed my view on life, and you will be happy to know, does have all the songs from the well known musical. It is quite a heavy book with over 500 pages, but definitely worth the read. The book made me feel as though I was there in France with the characters, feeling what they were, as a book should be. You dream the dream with Fantine, have a broken heart with Eponine, fight for what you want with Enjorlas and feel guilt over death with Marius. The book not only tells the classic story as known by the musical, but also provides good context, such as showing Fantine giving her child to the Thenardier's and such, none of which was included in the stage show. No spoilers, but some extra bits in the book that you would never have known or guessed without reading it. A wonderfully written book, no wonder it's the top of my list.






2. The fault In Our Stars - John Green
John Green, the name that most likely causes people to think about a teenage author who is really generic. I will happily disagree and argue with this statement until the moon turns blue. This particular book is my absolute favourite by John Green because of it's brutal honesty. No spoilers, but 2 young teenagers who meet at a support group for those with terminal cancer. It sounds depressing, but absolutely beautifully written, and handy if you want a good cry. I personally have read this 3 times, and have not yet managed to make the accomplishment of me reading it without crying. Don't let this put you off though. The book really puts life in perspective and shows you how precious every day is. A heart wrenching story, the list would have been practically empty without it.






3. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Caroll
Yes, I am aware this book is normally aimed at young children. However, does that mean adults are forbidden to read it? I'm currently 16 years old, 17 in June and it still remains to be one of my favourite books to read. An absolute classic, this follows the wild and beautiful imagination of a young girl names Alice with memorable characters such as the White Rabbit, The mad hatter, Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum, The queen of hearts and the ever loveable Cheshire cat. Reminding people that just because people grow up, it doesn't mean your imagination has to die is the reason this amazing tale is in the middle of my list. 







4. The Hunger Games Series - Suzanne Collins
Ok, so I know I'm cheating a bit here and putting 3 books here, but because they're a series, then they count as 1. The book isn't some teenager love story series, it's a serious series about the lengths that one girl, Katniss Everdeen, will do to keep herself and those she loves alive. Once she realises how sick a system they all live in, she then begins a rebellion against the president, risking everything she has. Suzanne Collins has written the book so well it's almost impossible to not feel emotion when reading this trilogy, particularly when you understand the daily rituals people usually have to go through for something people now take for granted. Food, warmth and shelter are a bit more difficult to come across in this fictional world. No spoilers, but there are plenty of shocks in store. 


5. Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
Another classic telling the life of a beautiful horse. Following the life since he has been born, Black Beauty himself tells his life travelling through his many owners and jobs to have been done. Not necessarily life changing, but it certainly changed the way I looked at horses in general. After reading this it made me realise that horses aren't just in actual fact animals that walk and eat, but they work just as hard as people, and they can feel the same way too. Black Beauty is proof that horses can also feel heartbreak and such. A sad but beautifully told book, a great way to end my list.










So there you go! All books I've read and recommend. Whether you choose to or not it up to you, but if you do read them, I guarantee, you will not regret it. Again, if you have any ideas what you want me to do in the future, just leave me a comment!









Comments

Popular Posts