Doing things only if you’re good at them?

Doing things only if you’re good at them? Singing, dancing, drawing, and acting. All things that a few select of people have gone on to make careers of because of the simple fact that these are things that they are talented in. The question is though; for the large majority of us who don’t have a talent in these, should we just not do them? No, is my answer to that. If you enjoy singing, dancing and acting but you don’t feel it’s something you’re talented in, heck, just do it anyway! You never know, someone might over hear you and argue the opposite, thinking you have real talent, and you could be one of the people who continue it professionally. I for one, know that every evening, I sing and dance around in my pjs with music really loud (which annoys my neighbours) not because I’m talented, but because I want to and it’s fun.

Fun is what leads me onto artwork. Who cares if you can’t draw a tree without it looking like it’s part fish?! I can only draw stick people and my trees look like 5 year olds could do a better job, but I don’t care, because it’s a nice way of expressing myself with no pain. Whether I’m angry, sad, happy exited; art is always a great way to show my emotions. If you want to show people- go for it! They might even think it’s good and you’ll have found a new talent for yourself! If you don’t want to show people, fine, it’s your work, do what you want with it! You can at least have the self satisfaction of having done something creative with your feelings in a peaceful and harmless way. 

As for acting, everyone can be a good actor or actress; there’s no such thing as a bad one. I am very self conscious, particularly when I sing and dance (because I can’t), so when I was asked to do the role of Eponine in Les Miserables School edition, although I was thrilled (as this is my dream role on stage) I almost had a heart attack at the fact I had to sing, dance and act, all at the same time in front of 300 plus people. By the time I’d thought it through, however, my fears had vanished. I thought, “this is my dream role, don’t let people get in the way of ruining it; don’t let fear rule your life!” My drama teacher also said to me: “I don’t care if you get every note in the songs wrong, or if you have shoddy acting. Get the emotion right and you’ve done the role perfectly. The audience will see that too” which really helped my confidence. In the end, I managed to get a standing ovation and reduce the audience to tears, so I must have done something right! And the way I see; they wouldn’t have cast me if they didn’t have faith, they must have believed in me. And this is what you must all think too. Don’t stop acting because you think you’re bad. The more you do, the better you get, and you could go really far and make it a career. If people bring you down, they’re just not good enough. Ignore the hateful things and only focus on the good things.

Comments

Popular Posts