Miranda Hart - Is it just me?

Miranda Hart - Is it just me - 3/5 rating.

I love Miranda. Her show, her comedy, just her in general, so when I found out that she was writing a book, I was thrilled. I thought 'great! Now we can see where she gets her eccentric ideas from!' However (And I hate to say this) I was really let down when it came to reading it. I first found the book in a charity shop just 2 DAYS after it's release and was confused as to what it was doing there - why not give it to a friend of something. Now I know why. That sounds crueler than I intended, but I will explain.

I was expecting the book to be very comedic, as that is the kind of person that Miranda is, and wasn't let down. I was also expecting the book to tell me about her upbringing - brothers, sisters, school, birthdays etc..the usual stuff you would expect in an autobiography. This was where everything started to go downhill.



The book reminded me of finding old VHS tapes of videos of your childhood recorded by your parents - time passing in no order and making absolutely no sense. To give some credit, Miranda has split her book into sections on themes - relationships, christmas, holidays etc...But apart from that, there is lack of (if any) organisation. The book was just a collection of memories told for each theme with the help of a much younger Miranda constantly butting in.

Although the comedy was there and the book made me smile and chuckle to an extent, it was hard to stay focused, particularly when Miranda goes off on a tangent and completely off topic (which happens to be most of the time). I am saddened to say this isn't a book I would recommend and now my copy of the book is back in exactly the same place it started - the shelf of a charity shop.

Comments

Popular Posts