Time to discuss...'If I Stay'

Book: 'If I Stay'
Author: Gayle Forman
My Rating: 3/5 stars.

This is a book I have been so excited to read ever since I first saw the film trailer. I managed to make myself wait until I had read the book before I decided I would go and see the film. I needn't have bothered. I have to say, all my excitement was wasted. Don't get me wrong, the book wasn't awful...It just wasn't great either. It wasn't so bad I couldn't finish it, but it was bad enough that I wasn't eager to pick it up and carry on.

Overall, I feel like the book moved very slowly. It started off really well! The opening was kind of predictable but it worked - a normal family (with a musical genius) who go out in the car on a snow day and *SPOILERS* end up in a car accident. The next few pages were still good - confusion from the main character as she pieces together what has happened to her and her family and we then see how everyone is effected. They focus on the main characters and their thoughts etc...So it starts with the main character, Mia, then moves onto her grandparents, then her best friend, her best friends mum, then eventually her boyfriend and so on...

In my opinion, the grandparents view was enough because after that it just becomes repetitive.
Character
Realisation what has happened
Worry
Speak to other people *SPOILERS* Talk to Mia whilst she is in a coma

Next Character...
It just goes on and on! I understand that all people will be effected but I get the impression that they will all be effected in the same or similar way. There's also the fact that throughout the book, a lot of time is spent on not a lot happening. I understand that this is how it works in life - there's not always something happening - but in a book, to read this, it becomes very boring.

I think that the reason people read books is to read about lives that are much more exciting than the ones they are living or to escape from reality. This is a book which I think didn't serve it's purpose as well as I had anticipated. I understand that people will probably think in response to this 'Don't read it then' but oh well. This is just my view, and people will obviously think differently. If you want to/have read the book and have different views to mine, let me know in the comments! I am genuinely curious to see how other people found it!

Much love, and until my next post,
Leyla
xxx

Comments

Popular Posts