Maleficent - Sleeping beauty or living nightmare?

'Maleficent' - another dark film adaption based on the innocent fairy tale and Disney film of 'Sleeping Beauty'. Normally I think the idea of doing remakes of fairy tales is absolutely ridiculous - why ruin an innocent story? 'Maleficent' was different for me, however. I'm not overly keen on 'Sleeping Beauty' anyway - a rather pathetic fairy tale that could probably be done in 5 minutes, so when 'Maleficent' was announced, I was exited and intrigued to see what they were going to do; if they were going to make it better.

I was not disappointed. The film kept the basic idea of the original fairy tale but with less emphasis on the true love theme. With
out giving too much away, it's not the airy fairy, happy ever after is used to, and Maleficent is portrayed as much more than a villain who is in a mood; There's a reason behind the anger.

If anyone is in doubt about whether the film is worth watching or not - yes. Do it! I think it's the best remake of a fairy tale that I have seen to date - it beats 'Beastly', 'Snow White and the huntsman' and 'Jack the giant slayer'. This newly made fairy film will not let you down.

Comments

Popular Posts